Spring is a time of fresh starts and new beginnings, but unfortunately, not for your skin. Sun damage sticks with you, aging your skin and your facial appearance, even months and years after exposure. This spring, give your skin the fresh start it deserves by visiting STC Plastic Surgery. Reverse sun damage that has already occurred and help protect your skin from future damage. Call us at 800-303-9541 to schedule a skin care consultation at our Inland Empire plastic surgery office.
How to Prevent Sun Damage
Sunny Southern California is known for its beautiful weather and temperate climate. Our sunny weather does have one major downside though, sun damage. The sun emits many different types of rays, including UV or ultraviolet rays. UV rays can damage the skin and exposure leads to premature aging, including wrinkles, age spots, and facial volume loss.
The best way to prevent premature aging is to limit the skin’s exposure to UV rays. There are many ways to accomplish this. Most of our patients combine several of these methods.
- Cover Up – Find a wide-brimmed hat you love and wear it often. Long sleeves, pants, and sunglasses are other essentials when you are spending lots of time outdoors. Covering up puts a physical layer of protection between your skin and the sun, dramatically reducing UV exposure.
- Use Sunscreen Daily – Dr. Machida recommends using SPF 15+ daily, SPF 30+ for days in the sun. Apply a high-quality broad-spectrum sunscreen each morning, even if you’re not going to spend much time outdoors. Since sun damage is cumulative, even brief exposure can add up. Using sunscreen daily ensures protection as you walk to the car, wait for the train, or check the mail. If you’re planning a day outdoors, reapply sunscreen often, every 2 hours at a minimum and more frequently if you’re sweating or swimming.
- Seek Shade – UV levels are lower in the shade. When you can, seek out shade. The darker the shade, the more sun protection it offers.
- Stay Indoors During Peak UV Times – UV levels are highest during the middle of the day. If you’re going to take a jog, go early or late, avoiding the peak UV times.
Sun protection will eventually become second nature, but at first, it will require some conscious choices. Commit to better sun habits now and protect your skin from future sun damage. Prevention also helps to maintain the results you achieve from sun damage cosmetic treatments.
Reversing Sun Damage in Inland Empire, CA
AT STC Plastic Surgery, our focus is facial rejuvenation. Our surgical and non-surgical cosmetic treatments can reverse premature facial aging and sun damage. Find the most effective treatment options for you during a consultation with Dr. Machida. Common treatments for sun damage include:
- Fractional Laser- Fractional laser treatments offer all the benefits of laser treatment with shorter downtimes. Laser energy is applied to a fraction of the skin cells, rather than the entire face. Leaving some cells untreated speeds healing and improves recovery. Fractional lasers are very effective for treating uneven pigmentation, wrinkling, and rough skin texture.
- RF Skin Tightening- Wrinkling and sagging are common in patients with significant sun damage. We use RF skin tightening to treat these concerns without surgery. This treatment works deep within the skin to remodel tissues and rebuild skin and muscle structure.
Give your skin a fresh start this spring at STC Plastic Surgery. Ask us about our treatments for sun damage.