Facial Fat Grafting in Inland Empire, CA | STC Plastic Surgery | Brian Machida, M.D., F.A.C.S.
As remarkable facial plastic surgery procedures can be, it doesn’t address all the problems that aging can bring. If you’ve yearned for the return of a healthier, firmer appearance, you’re not alone. When aging has left us looking gaunt and tired, we search for treatments like facial fat grafting to restore a youthful, vibrant look.
Fat grafting has been used as an effective way to restore volume to the for decades, especially as a supplement for facial plastic surgery procedures like the facelift. But new advancements in fat grafting techniques have made fat grafting to the face even more predictable, efficient, and much safer.
Dr. Machida is proud to offer SVF (Stromal Vascular Fraction) facial fat grafting, a cutting-edge treatment that uses a combination of your fat stem cells and the purest samples of your own fatty tissue. Essentially, a fat transfer will remove fat from unwanted areas and insert them back into face to treat sunken cheeks and facial hollows without surgery. SVF fat grafting takes it one step further by allowing you to also treat deep lines and creases—just like a dermal filler can. When the SVF fat grafting is combined with a facelift, true rejuvenation is possible.
Using superior technology and an ingenious new method of fat extraction, Dr. Machida can help patients create softer contours, greater definition, and a firmer look for the face. With facial fat grafting, you won’t be relying on a foreign substance; it’s all natural, and it’s all you.
Facial Fat Transfer With BeautiFill
Facial surgeries like the facelift and eyelid rejuvenation help men and women across the Inland Empire feel confident in their appearance as they get older, but removing skin and tightening muscle only addresses some of the age-related changes your face experiences. If you’ve yearned for the return of a healthier, firmer appearance to your face, you’re not alone. When aging has left us looking gaunt and tired, treatments like facial fat grafting restore a youthful, vibrant look.
Fat grafting has proven to be an effective way to restore volume to the for decades, especially as a supplement for facial plastic surgery procedures like the facelift. But new advancements in fat grafting techniques have made fat grafting to the face even more predictable, efficient, and much safer.
Contact us to learn more about fat transfer to the face in the Inland Empire. Using superior technology and an ingenious new method of fat extraction, Dr. Machida can help patients create softer contours, greater definition, and a firmer look for the face. With facial fat grafting, you won’t be relying on a foreign substance; it’s all-natural, and it’s all you.
Call STC Plastic Surgery at (800) 303-9541 to learn more about this procedure or to schedule a consultation.
How SVF Fat Grafting Works
In general, fat grafting works by using careful liposuction to remove fat from areas already suffering from excess fat (flanks, thighs, abdomen, etc.). The fat is then inserted, via injection, into areas suffering from volume loss.
Once they’re inside the body, the transferred fat is given a chance to “take,” a process where the fatty tissue attaches themselves to the collagen matrices under the skin and develops their own blood supply. The challenge in traditional fat grafting was that the fat’s survival rate was around 50%, but since it really depended on the patient’s specific anatomy, it was as low as 30% in some cases. It was not uncommon for fat transfer procedures to be repeated.
There’s also one crucial characteristic about facial fat grafting that surgeons needed to consider: natural fat cells exist in relatively large clumps. These relatively large clumps have a low survival rate, so to protect this grouping, surgeons needed to use a larger needle, which then caused significant discomfort and bruising for the patient.
SVF fat grafting improves on traditional methods in two ways: one benefit is that the SVF method uses an advanced filter to screen out the large clumps and isolate the younger, smaller fat cells. These fat cells can be found in the Stromal Vascular Fraction, a byproduct of the filtering that’s rich in Adipose Derived Stem Cells.
By harvesting a higher percentage of adult stem cells, Dr. Machida can inject fat samples that are much more likely to adapt to the new area. In fact, these fat grafts have a much better survival rate: up to 90%. Most of the time, patients can achieve a substantial improvement after just one treatment.
Using smaller cells also means that Dr. Machida can use a much finer needle that reduces the occurrence of bruising and discomfort. The younger and more versatile cells are also better able to lift wrinkles and creases—something fat grafting wasn’t able to do before. However, unlike injectables, the results of SVF facial fat grafting can last without the need for maintenance treatments.
The Challenges of Fat Grafting and How We Resolve Them
Traditionally, fat grafting has many challenges, but don’t rule this treatment out yet. Dr. Machida uses the latest research in fat grafting to eliminate common concerns associated with the procedure. Our advanced techniques improve patient safety and outcomes.
- Low fat survival rates: The challenge in traditional fat grafting was that the fat’s survival rate was around 50%, and in some cases as low as 30%. It was not uncommon for patients to request revisions to their fat transfer procedures. Modern techniques, including BeautiFill, provide a much higher “take rate” for transferred fat. Many surgeons using this method see 95% of fat cells integrate into the new tissue.
- Inconsistent results: Low take rates for transferred fat can leave bumps and bulges where you don’t want them. Our advanced techniques dramatically reduce fat loss, providing a smoother and more consistent result.
- Damage and trauma to the skin: Natural fat cells exist in relatively large clumps. To protect these cells, surgeons needed to use a larger needle, which then caused significant discomfort and bruising for the patient. SVF fat grafting and BeautiFill eliminate this challenge by isolating fat cells using advanced technology. We can use a much smaller needle, which reduces discomfort and bruising after the procedure.
Fat grafting has been a promising treatment for many years, but by eliminating these downfalls, it is now one of the most innovative and exciting ways to improve facial appearance and reduce signs of aging.
The Benefits of Facial Fat Grafting
Facial fat grafting can restore volume to a myriad of problem areas:
- The hollows under the eyes
- Hollows on the cheeks
- Creases in the forehead
- The temples
- The jawline
- Other areas that are sunken or gaunt
But the advanced method of fat grafting allows for additional benefits:
- With improved survival rates means you can get the look you want on the first try
- Fill deep wrinkles like dermal fillers, but with longer-lasting results
- No foreign materials, so there’s no worry of having an adverse reaction or allergic reaction—the material is from your body
The Ideal Candidates for Facial Fat Grafting
SVF fat grafting is safe enough to be used on almost any patient. However, there are a few characteristics that define an ideal patient:
- A non-smoker, or willing to quit for 3 weeks before and after the procedure
- Someone with an adequate amount of fat to donate
- Someone who wants to complement a facelift with volume restoration
- Someone who wants a healthy, softer look
- Relatively healthy with no major untreated diseases
The Procedure for Facial Fat Grafting
We use both SVF fat grafting and BeautiFill, one of the newest techniques available. Dr. Machida will perform the treatment in his private surgery center, usually using local anesthesia. In the first step of the procedure, Dr. Machida will carefully extract fat samples from the area of choice. With SVF grafting, we use a liposuction technique. BeautiFill patients will have fat extracted using proprietary laser energy. After filtering the sample to isolate the fat cells, Dr. Machida will inject the fat graft strategically where it can create the most improvements.
The procedure for facial fat grafting is fairly simple. The treatment will be performed in Dr. Machida’s private surgery center, and it’ll be performed using local anesthesia. In the first step of the procedure, Dr. Machida is will carefully extract fat samples from the area of choice. The sample is then filtered to get the stem-cell enriched graft. Then, Dr. Machida will inject the fat graft strategically where it can create the most improvements.
State-of-the-art treatments and an outstanding patient experience—these are the foundations that Second to Creation was built on. If you’d like to find out if this cutting-edge treatment can supplement your facial plastic surgery procedure, contact Dr. Machida now for a consultation.
BeautiFill: An Advanced Facial Fat Transfer System
Dr. Machida has committed to bringing his treatments the latest techniques in facial plastic surgery. We’re excited to be one of the first practices in the Inland Empire offering BeautiFill, an advanced system for facial fat transfer procedures.
BeautiFill uses safe laser technology to carefully extract live fat cells from areas where you have extra. These same fat cells then get transferred to the face, providing volume in areas that are lacking. The real difference between BeautiFill and other fat transfer procedures is the harvesting of the fat. Liposuction and other techniques can damage delicate fat cells. BeautiFill’s powerful laser technology helps loosen and remove fat cells without damage, preserving both the quality of the fat and its viability.
- Greater than 90% fat viability in clinical study
- Less bruising and swelling than other fat transfer methods
- Immediate results that last
- Only one procedure needed
- Preserve fat integrity — for an average fat extraction of 50 ccs, we obtain 40 to 45 ccs of usable fat cells
- Minimal downtime; return to work the next day if desired
- Sealed system — no risk of exposing your fat cells to outside air
Dr. Machida is excited to bring this advanced facial fat transfer technology to STC Plastic Surgery. Contact us to learn more about BeautiFill.
Why Fat Is Better Than Fillers
Dermal fillers, like Juvéderm®® and Restylane®®, are widely used and popular options for facial rejuvenation. They require no surgery and no downtime, and offer beautiful aesthetic results. Fat grafting is more invasive and more complex, but we still believe it offers a superior solution to facial rejuvenation.
Why is fat better than fillers? Before you choose a filler, consider these reasons for choosing fat transfer instead:
- Costs less in the long run: Fat grafting is an initial investment, but since it lasts much longer than fillers, you won’t need retreatment or touchups. If you have the money to invest now, do it. Should your financial situation change in the future, you won’t be scrambling to find funds for fillers, but instead, will enjoy a refreshed appearance due to the longevity of fat.
- Longer-lasting: Many fillers use hyaluronic acid to volumize and plump the skin. The body gradually reabsorbs hyaluronic acid after about a year. In contrast, your body won’t absorb or reject your fat cells, which is why transferred fat lasts much longer than fillers.
- Excellent fat retention: Advanced fat grafting techniques allow for a much higher retention of transferred fat. With “take rates” as high as 95%, advanced fat grafting provides the consistent results of fillers with the long benefits of fat.
Put your extra fat to good use!
Frequently Asked Questions About Facial Fat Grafting in Inland Empire
There are several factors that could affect how a facial fat grafting treatment turns out:
- The anatomy and contour of the area being treated
- How much fat is available for transplantation
- How much of the harvested fat is suitable to graft
- How much fat actually survives once it’s been transplanted
Dr. Machida will take all these factors into account to ensure each fat grafting is as successful as possible.
Fat cells are delicate, and although they typically have a loose connection to vasculature, they still need an adequate blood supply to survive. To protect the fat cells, Dr. Machida will perform liposuction with great care. New processing techniques have also allowed us to isolate the fat cells that are the most likely to survive and form a new blood supply.
The ideal place to harvest fat is an area that usually accumulates excess pockets of fat, such as the abdomen. We won’t take fat from an area where you’ve previously had liposuction because we don’t want scar tissue to interfere with the harvesting process. The area should also have a reasonable amount of fat available so that we can achieve suitable facial fat transfer results.
Although there are some challenges to grafting fat into the lips and the area between the mouth and the nose, most areas of the face respond well to the treatment. Dr. Machida has the training and experience to work with these intricate areas.
Because dermal fillers are typically made up of substances naturally found in the body, the body will ultimately absorb them. All dermal fillers are temporary, with many of them lasting from 6 months to 2 years. They must be maintained with a regular injection schedule.
Facial fat grafts are even safer for the body because they use your actual tissues, but once they “take,” they become a permanent fixture of the face.
Dr. Machida asks that patients take about 3-5 days to rest from the facial fat transfer. Remember, although the insertion of the fat grafts is a minimally invasive process, Dr. Machida will still need to perform liposuction, which is an invasive project.
Once the fat grafts have taken, then they can last indefinitely, sometimes for years.
Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Located in the Heart of Inland Empire
Restored Faces…Transformed Lives. Excellence, experience, caring, professionalism, and amazing results are all part of the experience you’ll receive as part of your incredible experience at STC Plastic Surgery