Revolutionary Facial Fat Transfer in Inland Empire, CA
The sands of time inevitably fall and leave their marks on our faces and bodies.
In particular, as we age, our faces see a noticeable decline in skin structure and volume. With a revolutionary facial plastic surgery technique, BeautiFILL fat transfer, Dr. Machida at STC Plastic Surgery can help restore his patients’ healthy, firm, and youthful countenances.
Here, Dr. Machida and his team explain the differences between traditional fat transfers and the BeutiFILL procedure and outlines the extensive anti-aging benefits offered by the BeautiFILL surgery.
If you find yourself concerned about encroaching or extensive wrinkling, loose facial skin, gaunt cheeks or sallow pockets under your eyes, consider contacting Dr. Machida via his online form. Find out precisely how his BeautiFILL procedure can help you achieve a youthful, vibrant appearance today.
Problems with Traditional Fat Transfer
For decades, fat grafting, or fat transfer, has been used as a way of restoring volume to the face, particularly as a supplement during comprehensive plastic surgery procedures such as the facelift.
How is traditional fat transfer to the face performed?
Traditionally, fat transfer to the face is performed this way:
- Fat is harvested from a donor site on the body, generally the lower abdomen, buttocks or thighs
- The fat was cleansed from blood cells and cellular debris with saline solution
- The fat was separated and concentrated using a centrifuge
- Manually pack processed fat cells into a syringe, often using gloved fingers to compact them
- Inject these fat cells into the desired areas of the face to help restore volume and contour
What problems does this process cause?
To this day, the concept behind traditional fat transfer remains sound, that of removing fat from one area of the body where there is an excess, and introducing it to a separate area where there is a demand. However, the process by which the procedure is performed can be inefficient and exposes the living fat cells to extensive levels of stress.
Because of this, there is a reduced survival rate of the transferred fat cells, generally somewhere between 50-70%. Also known as the ‘take rate,’ this means that only around half of the fat cells that are injected into the treatment area during the initial procedure survive.
This results in necessary follow-up procedures and short-lived results from traditional fat transfer to the face.
Fortunately, the revolutionary technique BeautiFILL uses the same concept as traditional fat transfer, but with an evolved and far more accurate process.
Solutions offered by BeautiFILL
The BeautiFILL fat transfer surgery follows the same principle as traditional fat transfer – that of harvesting fat from one part of the body and introducing it to another – however, the process is far more refined and offers a far higher cell survival rate.
How is BeautiFILL fat transfer performed?
The BeautiFILL fat transfer process simplifies the traditional fat transfer procedure using advanced laser and vacuum technology:
- Laser energy liquefies fat cells at the donor site.
- The liquid fat is then drawn out from the body and automatically filtered in a sealed vacuum, meaning there is no exposure to air or any contaminants. It’s then placed into syringes.
- Machida then takes the clean, prepared, and utterly sterile fat cell substance and introduces it to the facial areas that require volume and contouring.
What can BeautiFILL specifically treat?
BeautiFILL facial fat grafting can restore volume and contours to a myriad of problem areas:
- The hollows under the eyes
- Gaunt cheeks
- Forehead wrinkles, frown lines and creases
- Sunken temples
- Fill out and redefine the jawline
What are the Benefits of BeautiFILL over Traditional Facial Fat Transfer?
As we have discussed, BeautiFILL takes the sound concept of traditional fat transfer, but dramatically improves upon the process. This brings numerous benefits to the patient.
- Higher cell survival rate. Traditional facial fat transfer has survival rates of between 50-70%. With BeautiFILL, patients can expect a 95% survival rate, meaning you will retain most of the introduced fat cells over time.
- Cleaner, safer procedure. As the BeautiFILL system is entirely closed, the fat cells being transferred never get exposed to air or contaminants. This significantly reduces the chance of post-operative infection almost totally. Cleaner fat also means less of an immune response from the body once it is introduced, which decreases the healing time from the procedure.
- Longer lasting results. Because the survival rates of the fat cells are so much higher with BeautiFILL, patients can expect to see long-term effects. Depending on fluctuation in their body weight, patients can expect the facial volume and contours restored with BeautiFILL to last for many years.
Am I a Good Candidate for BeautiFILL facial fat transfer?
BeautiFILL is a particularly safe procedure. That said, it is suitable for most people who want a more youthful countenance, however there are a few characteristics that make an ideal patient:
- A non-smoker, or willing to quite for six weeks around the procedure (three weeks before and three weeks after). This encourages a healthy immune system and skin, which promotes proper healing and ideal results.
- Someone with a body fat percentage that is adequate enough to donate fat cells from a donor site.
- Is in good general health, with no significant health issues that might complicate the procedure or hinder healing.
BeautiFILL Facial Fat Transfer FAQs
The best donor sites for harvesting fat cells are areas of natural fat deposits. In women, these include the lower abdomen, hips, buttocks, and thighs. For men, these are the lower abdomen, lower back, and buttocks.
Reintroducing fat to parts of the face that have lost it can be tricky, particularly in areas like the lips, or areas of thick bone density such as the cheeks. However, Dr. Machida’s extensive experience and aesthetic eye ensure the best possible results for all areas of the face. Areas that respond particularly well to BeautiFILL fat transfer include the marionette lines around the lips, sunken cheeks, and nasolabial folds around the base of the nose.
Most patients fully recover from the procedure after a week. Dr. Machida recommends taking at least three days of proper rest, just to allow your body to adjust to the surgery and allocate appropriate amounts of energy to healing. After a week, any swelling or bruising should have gone, and patients will begin to see the full results from the procedure.
Results from BeautiFILL are long-lasting, especially if patients keeping their bodies fat reserves up! Remember, fat cells are living compounds that require food and sustenance to live and grow. Maintaining a healthy, balanced diet will help prolong your results from BeautiFILL fat transfer.
BeautiFILL fat transfer is a highly effective and beneficial anti-aging procedure. Dr. Machida is one of the leading plastic surgeons offering BeautiFILL in Southern California. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions or book a consultation by calling 800 303 9541 or by filling out his online form now.
Brian K. Machida, MD, FACS
Located in the Heart of Inland Empire
Restored Faces…Transformed Lives. Excellence, experience, caring, professionalism, and amazing results are all part of the experience you’ll receive as part of your incredible experience at STC Plastic Surgery